To Mr. Robin Williams

I won't pretend like I know you. I never knew your pain and the only window I had into your world was the roles you chose. I don't know if you would want to be remembered for you comedies or for your dramas. But even the funny ones had gravity to them.  And that's what I remember.

I have trouble hanging on to the jokes.

I don't know for sure but I feel like you understand that. I remember the impotent rage in Good Morning Vietnam. I remember the compassion in Good Will Hunting. And I remember the despair in What Dreams May Come.

Sometimes life sucks and there is nothing you can do about it - the forces are too big for one person. Sometimes it sucks and there is something you can - some tiny thing that can make it better like a hug. And sometimes the only thing you can do is sit in the despair with the one you love and pray to all the powers that be that it is enough.

I hope you had that.

I hope you had someone to sit with you when life wasn't funny anymore.

I hope at some point you felt the reckless abandon of a love that would follow you all the way to hell.




Comments

  1. We have both seen the toll that depression extracts from its victims and the people who love them.The sad part is that many times humor is used to mask the truth and hide the symptoms from people around them. Very well written my friend. It must be a sad thing to feel so alone while being loved and admired by so many. SteveJ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts