The Last Full Measure

First, let me say this: I was never going to vote for Trump. That was never on the table. But what I did do was hold out that the caricature that is Trump in the media was two dimensional and did not capture who he is as a person. Maybe it still doesn’t.  

But, apparently for me, this is the line.

In that speech you had to remember in 8th grade, Lincoln calls giving one’s life for the United States of America “the last full measure of devotion.” A person that gives that last full measure for his country and his brothers can be called nothing but a lover of country and the ideals it stands for. Not only that, but that person’s parents, whether consciously or not are lovers of their country and its ideals as well because they have instilled in that one who would give his life the ideals of the country itself.

Humayun Khan was such a lover of country.
So are his parents.

Before the start of the DNC, Trump has multiple times used rhetoric suggesting that Muslims are not welcome in this country. I cannot imagine Khan’s parents, lovers of the USA and all it stands for, having sacrificed their Isaac for this country, being told they are not welcome here by someone who could legitimately be president and watching thousands cheer at his words. Obviously, they did not have kind words for Trump at the DNC.

His response? Well there were several but let’s look at this one:
“I think I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures.”

This is his response to dead children. Your son may be dead but it’s been hard for me too! Look at all this stuff I built!

Trump would have fit right in with Job’s friends.

Your child is dead, but I had the pressures of wealth.
Your child is dead, but look how tall this building is.
Your child is dead, but I have five children to let other people take care of.

But for all this Trump has sacrificed.

“What does it profit a man,” Jesus asks,
“to gain the world and sacrifice his soul?”

Ask The Donald.

He knows.

Comments

Popular Posts